The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) track is an 18-month program for instructors interested in contributing to the formal peer-reviewed scholarship of teaching and learning. Participants are supported as they develop a research concept and move towards the publication of original research. Topics include an overview of SoTL, study design and conception, literature review, IRB approval, data collection, data analysis, and writing. Participants will have a SoTL manuscript ready for submission to a peer-reviewed journal by the end of the program.
This course is appropriate for faculty new to SoTL as well as experienced SoTL researchers interested in joining a learning community of likeminded scholars. Those who complete this certificate will also receive the “Scholarship of Teaching and Learning” medallion.
The program consists of the following components:
- A series of monthly virtual, synchronous workshops on the Backward Design process. In workshops, participants will develop a new course or re-design an existing course.
- Access to print and online resources that relate to the above topics.
- An online forum where members of the cohort can continue discussions about course design and exchange ideas.
- Support for the cohort should any of the members wish to continue meeting after the initial program.
Certificate of Completion
Participants who satisfactorily complete the set of requirements listed below are eligible for a UTHSC Teaching Excellence Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Certificate. They will also receive a $500 stipend and the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning and Learning medallion.
- Attend 16 of the 18 monthly workshops
- Complete all assignments
- Write a manuscript ready for submission to a peer-reviewed journal
The cohort will meet throughout the academic year. Sessions will be led by either TLC staff or UTHSC faculty. To see a complete list of workshops, view the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Workshop page.
Interested participants should contact their academic dean or department chair to register for this certificate program.